10/24/2013

Attack of the Cop Out Words

We say about 10,000 to 25,000 words a day, according to the latest statistic I could find. Well, here's what I have to say to that...

If we're saying all these words, let's make them valuable. Let's make sure they do not minimize our intentions.  Let's make sure they are powerful.

Below is my list of words to stay away from (in day-to-day work contexts). 


Just                                                                                      

This is one of those words I say way too much, and am working hard to get stop using.  The word, just minimizes everything you say.

I used to travel a lot for work by myself to do train-the-trainers at various companies.  When dining out, the host would ask, "How many in your party?" My immediate response leaned toward "Just one" or "Just me." 

Using just minimized who I was. I was happy to be dining by myself and learned to reply as such.

The same thing applies at work. 
You don't just do something. You do something. 
You don't just develop. You develop, and you do it with all your might.

Taking just out of the sentence makes the sentence definitive. It makes our statements more powerful.

Should, Could                                                                       


I should or could do something are a couple more words that minimize what you are saying.

"We should have something available for the user to see tomorrow."
"We could do that next week."
Instead, be conclusive in your answers; no one at work wants to deal with someone who should get things done.  Change those statements to:
"We will have something available for the user to see tomorrow."  
If you're unsure if you will be able to meet the goal, then be realistic in your statement.
"We will have 80% done by tomorrow morning, and will complete the remaining 20% by the end of the day."
As someone who is responsible for delivering projects, applying change and/or transforming organizations, no one wants to hear that I should be able to get something done.  They're paying me to get things done and to be realistic in my timeline.  On the same token, I don't want to hear that someone should be able to pay me or could pay me.  I want to know that I will be paid.

Never, Always, etc                                                              


If I tell you I always do something or I never mess up, call me a liar right then and there.  I cannot think of a time when there is always a moment when something never happens or vice versa (yes, I threw in both words, but the only time I can find when it can be used).  

While coaching teams on best practices, I hear a lot of always and never
"The tool never works."
"This person never gets their work to me on time."
"We are never able to express our creativity."
"Processes are always impeding our work."   
When used in the above context, always and never allow us to not want to face the facts.  The above examples start becoming excuses.  

Instead of "The tool never works," we should phrase the statement to be more specific.  
"The server that the tool is on goes down almost once a day, which impedes work getting done and information being entered."
Using never and always are cop outs; ways to get around what the real problem is.  

Note: In requirements, acceptance tests, etc., using always or never as a means of how functionality will perform does make sense, but remember that in this blog I am pointing to everyday conversation.

                                                                                                                                                                   

What do you think about the words I chose?  Do you have words that you think we should stay away from? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment